For example, a physiotherapist could:
Deliver one of the general messages, ie. “At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity throughout the day one most, preferably all days, can help to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and some cancers”.
Outline tips for making improvements
- “You could use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator”
- “You could park further away from your destination and walk”
Explain why these changes are important to improving physical health as well as general health.
- “Lack of physical activity is the biggest preventable cause of injuries and falls as you get older. If you exercise regularly, you can achieve the things you might like to such as running around after your grandkids”
The physiotherapist will also be able to refer patients to appropriate services for further information or other health professionals (as appropriate) and offer the patient information brochure:
- “The Australian Physical Activity and Sedentary Guidelines have more information on the recommended amount of physical activity along with extra tips to increase activity”
- “You could look up the Better Health Channel for more information. The website is on your patient information brochure.”
Physiotherapy Specific Health Messages